Friday, August 10, 2012

6 Month Update

I know I am way overdue for an update on our journey! Our summer has been so fun, yet busy, but don't worry, I haven't given up on Feingold. In fact, I now finally seeing some consistent results. While Feingold claims that many people see results in 4-6 weeks, many professionals and others familiar with additive free diets had told me it takes 6 months to one year to totally rid the body of the remnants of the chemical additives. I would say that has been true for us. While I did see improvements early on, it seemed that gradually, I noticed that some behaviors that used to be a problem were less frequent, if not gone. The biggest improvement by far has been his overall mood and ability to sleep better. He has been less irritable and more pleasant to be around. I don't feel like I am walking on eggshells all the time. When, we stick to the diet strictly, I notice that he is able to concentrate better and use more advanced vocabulary. He still has a lot of energy, but I am learning to try to redirect that energy into a positive thing. For instance, his baseball coach frequently commended him on his "hustle" on the ball field. When I started running a few weeks ago, he ran two miles with me and received many words of praise of the people at the YMCA who were watching him. He still has a positive attitude toward the plan, especially now that we are able to eat a few more "treats" than before. When I say "treats" I am not referring to the artificial additives...those are eliminated. Treats might include apple juice, all natural gummies,  and meals out at restaurants where we try to make better choices based on his food plan. This plan can be confusing at first, but for those of you who are interested, here is the list of what we have eliminated and what we eat in only small amounts.
Eliminated on Feingold
Artificial Petrolium based Dyes (red #40, yellow #5, etc. basically if it has a number and a color listed in the ingredients, we don't eat it or use it in any products)
Artificial Preservatives (BHA, TBHQ, Sodium benzoate)
Artificial Flavors (Vanillin is probably the most popular example)
Artificial Sweeteners (Aspartame, sweet n low, splenda, etc.)

We have also eliminated High Fructose Corn Syrup, corn syrup and honey as those seemed to cause problems for him. While these are not officially eliminated from Feingold, it is the next suggested step if results seem inconsistent)

Naturally occurring salicylates are eaten in moderation (perhaps one a day)
Apples, berries, peppers, grapes, many spices, mint, oranges,and  tomatoes are a few examples.
We have also eliminated this from products we use such as soaps, lotion and sunscreen

(FYI- While research is still being done on salicylates, studies show that a low-salicylate diet can also been successful in helping treat fibromyalgia and Meniere's disease)

So that's the scoop. We are still on the plan and doing well. Just wait until my next blog topic. It will surprise many of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment