Thursday, February 16, 2012

What I Love. What I Miss

The more I read about the food additivies the closer I become to trying to limit them for myself as well as my kids. When I was at Target today looking at the discounted Valentine's Day candy to add to my "Mommy" stash, I began reading the ingredients and put everything back except for some Dove chocolates which still had "artificial flavors" but none of the other stuff. It means that I may need to replace my beloved junior mints for the Ghiradelli squares with mint filling. Not a bad sacrifice. In fact, the best thing about being on this plan so far is that the more natural foods taste better! I've loved having my house filled with the smell of fresh baked bread (I do cheat and buy the frozen bread dough, but the aroma is the same!). The usual store bought 12 grain bread that I bought for my husband and I has been sitting in my pantry for 3 weeks (without any mold growing on it!). A loaf of homebaked bread is usually devoured in a few days.  Once you get used to better food, it is hard to go back. There are some things that I do miss though...mostly the convenice of frozen foods. There are some brands of frozen foods on the food list, but they are usually too expensive to justify buying them. Here is a list of my favorite and most missed foods.

Things I Miss Having Most
Frozen waffles
M&M's
Apple Juice (This is what Elijah misses most)
Frozen Pizza/ Bagel Bites
Store bought bagels, bread and buns
Lunchables
McDonalds Happy meals
Store bought jams/ jellies

Newly Discovered Feingold Stage One Approved Products I Love
Ghiradelli White Chocolate Chips (these are amazing and have replaced m&ms as a treat)
Aunt Jemima Pancake Mix (Makes my life much easier!)
Krusteaz Honey Cornbread Mix
Stauffers Animal Crackers (they are cheap!)
Rhodes Frozen Bread Dough
Sister Shuberts Rolls (My family ate an entire pan of these at one meal)
Life Saves Mints
Dunken Hines Dark Chocolate Cake Mix (what is not to like about that!)
Any Annie's Homegrown products
Sunchips
Hanover Frozen Pretzels

This is just a sampling of how my refrigerator and pantry look different now than they did a few weeks ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment