Wednesday, April 25, 2012

A Peaceful Place

I am truly thankful to God for creating a more peaceful home for the Fitzgerald family. It's not a perfect place my any means, but it is much more relaxed and enjoyable now that we are on track with the Feingold diet. I finally eliminating a huge trigger...high fructose corn syrup. While not specifically eliminated on the initial stage of Feingold, it is one of the things they suggest eliminating if you are seeing inconsistent results with just eliminating the artificial additives and naturally occurring salicylates. I suspected this and it was confirmed after a trip to TGIFridays when Elijah had a hamburger. The next morning, he was a little off and weepy. I called Fridays just to see if what I suspected was true. They did have corn syrup solids in their hamburger buns. Since then, I've eliminated HFCS, corn syrup, corn syrup solids, corn sugar and dextrose. The results have been consistent. More compliance, less irritability, and overall, just a happier kid. It is interesting that I started this because of hyperactivity issues and the biggest difference I've seen is being less irritable and more agreeable. Overall, I feel better that our whole family is eating more natural foods and we feel better as a result. BTW- this was strawberries week. It seems to be going well. Adding in apples didn't go so well, so I am glad that he seems to tolerate the salicylates in strawberries. He is so excited to try strawberry jam this afternoon!
There are two things that I am so grateful for. One, is that I can truly say I am enjoying being Elijah's mom. I know that sounds strange, but sometimes I didn't enjoy being his mom. I, of course, always loved him, but no one likes to argue and feel like they are walking on eggshells all the time with their child. I look forward to him getting off the bus and am truly excited about summer. We had a fun Spring Break together and he and his brother are getting along much better.  (Well as brothers should get along. They wouldn't be siblings without a good fight now and then!) One other great thing about being on this plan is that since it eliminates the behaviors that were the result of chemical reactions to foods, I can now more clearly see the heart issues and behaviors that he struggles with and can address those head on. I guess you can look at it as a filter to the heart. I still feel like I am in the beginning stages of this. Don't worry, the journey is not over yet!

P.S. Parents magazine just ran an article about ADHD and that the FDA says that studies have proven that eliminateing food dyes and preservatives was not effective in treating ADHD. A few pages later, they had a pages of fun birthday cake ideas with a pageful of artifically dyed candies and icings. Wonder who Parents magazine and the FDA are are in cahoots with? Even China's health director has just started an initiative to elimiate food dyes in their country because of it's effects on children. Maybe this is a different blog for a different day, but it is one my mind today. :(. Needles to say, I was pretty disappointed. Am I sounding like a hippie, yet?

1 comment:

  1. Dana, I can sure identify with the feeling of enjoying being my little one's mom in a whole new way, thanks to Feingold. I will never get over the blessing of knowing what our youngest is truly like apart from food reactions.

    When I have glanced at Parents recently, I have seen all kinds of things promoted that I would never have noticed pre-FG. It is sad that eating additive-free food is so counter-cultural. But it has also given me a new appreciation for how God designed our bodies and the food He has given us to nourish them.

    ReplyDelete