Monday, January 23, 2012

Book Bribe

I am counting down the days until Feb 3--the Clifton Park Library used book sale. What does this have to do with the Feingold diet you might ask? A lot! I am not a big believer in bribing kids. I never (well, almost never) say things like, "If you are good at Target, I'll get you a lolipop." Don't get me wrong, there are sometimes natural consequences for good behavior. "If you have a pleasant attitude, then dad will likely play something with you after dinner." But, in general, I think kids desirable behavior needs to come from the heart and not just because they get something. There have been two exceptions to this rule so far. Potty training and the Feingold diet. You can't just tell a child, "You are not going to be able to have your favorite foods because we are going to put you on a special food plan and you need to be cooperative and happy about it!" Especially a child who is in need of the Feingold diet! I did my best to shop for some fun alternatives to his favorite foods, even stocking up on some "junk food" treats. (This was actually an idea on the website. At first, allow your child to go a little overboard on the "junk food" items allowed on the diet...Lays potato chips or Breyers all natural ice cream for instance so it is a little more palatable. Then, gradually ease up on the special treats once they get used to it). So I did that in moderation, but still felt I needed a little more. So, I bribed him. Yes, it is an outright bribe. I told him that for every 5 days that he stuck to the diet plan without complaining, he would get a new "surprise" book. In other words, I am not taking a trip to the bookstore every 5 days for you to pick out a new book. My budget is being stretched enough buying more wholesome foods. Fortunately,  I have a few books that I've held back from the Fall library book sale that are in like-new condition. Over the past few months, Santa has put some in stockings and the "Book Fairy" has brought them when he was sick, but I still have a stash of 1 or 2 more that will last me until the next book sale, where I can get $.50 children's books. Now, if you notice, this is day 4. He is soooo excited about Day 5 because he can't wait to get his new book. Tonight before bed, he was asking if he actually gets the book on Day 5 or if he has to wait until Day 6. I assured him that he will get the book before bed, but that he had to continue to stay on his food plan, including saying, "No, thank you" to others who might offer him something when I am not there (This is going to be another blog topic).  I must say that his cooperative spirit is an answer to prayer. I know many of you have been praying for this specifically and I want to tell you, your prayers are being answered. I am very proud of him. I know that many of you are anxious to know if I have seen any changes in his mood/ behavior yet. I told myself that I would wait at least a week before trying to make any evaluations. Don't worry. I am keeping a journal and will let you know soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment