Monday, January 23, 2012

Why Am I Even Trying This?- Day 3

First of all, thank you to all of you who have left comments or sent personal message about this. I have gained some helpful suggestions and I am glad to know that someone is even reading this! Some of you may be asking, "Why are you trying this with your son?" or "How did you find out about this diet?" Those of you who have spent anytime around my 6 year old know the answer to the first question. He is a little ball of energy who would talk all day if you would let him, has major mood swings and just plain does everything fast. His first grade teacher (who is fantastic by the way) has sent emails about him with phrases like "I was tired at the end of the day," "He tries (to raise his hand before speaking) but just can't seem to help it," and "He is very body busy." Emails like these started in Kindergarten and I always took them seriously in that I addressed them with Elijah but always tried to blame it on something else...he is a young kindergartener and a boy, he could be gifted (every parent wants to think that, right!), God just made him that way, etc . I wouldn't entertain the idea that he could be showing signs of what the psychologist now call ADD/ ADHD. After all, if he wanted to, he could sit and do a lego set for an hour and didn't have problems academically. Then, of course, there is just downright pride. I am a teacher. There is now way my child could be hyperactive! We've addressed the problem from a number of angles. First and foremost was helping him to realize that the situation is not hopeless. God can help him to overcome it. This quote from the website, biblicalparenting.org, gave me a great perspective. "One of the greatest ways that you can help a child who has ADD or ADHD is to provide hope. God has a prescription for hope in Romans 5:4-5, “Suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.” Notice that hope comes from character, which comes from perseverance, which comes from suffering. Children need a plan for dealing with the suffering they experience. In fact, suffering can be the key to hope, if the child responds well. Your job is to help your child develop a plan for his or her suffering. Once children begin to respond to suffering with perseverance, then they will see character developing. That character will be encouraging and hope is the natural by product." Reading that was like having a ton of bricks lifted from me! Other Christian parents deal with this, too! Now, he has not been officially diagnosed with ADD/ ADHD. I have just read several articles about it and he displays many of the characteristics associated with these "disorders." I know if he is in school long enough, a teacher will eventually, if they haven't already, insinuate that he might have this, so I want to address it head on. He has so many great qualities. He is smart, creative and loves to be around people. I don't want these qualities to be overlooked because he can't sit still in his seat or talks without raising his hand. Some teachers are good at ignoring this and others only focus on it. "Why not homeschool?" you might ask. For now, I don't think that would be the best situation for him but that is a different blog for a different day. So, here I am with a dilemma. Is this stircktly an issue with of outright disobedience that needs more consequences or is possible that something else could be playing a role,  too. I remembered a friend of mine from California talking about trying this diet with her son with spectrum disorder. So, I began researching. The statisitcs were impressive and the testimonials from both parents as well as adults who had themselves followed this plan were encouraging. While the impact of the diet varied in effectiveness, in one study, only 1% found no change at all! That is when I decided that I needed to try it just to see if chemical sensitivity was not an issue for my son. After all, he already has an egg, peanut, almond and pencillin allergy. It wouldn't suprise me if he had other sensitivities, if not outright allergies, to food additivies as well. I didn't want him to be 20 years old, try a diet like this and have success and say, "Mom, why didn't you try this 14 years earlier!" So, now, on day 3, I am literally dreaming about reading food labels.

7 comments:

  1. Hey Dana, this is Ruth Mills (since you won't recognize my Google signature) I'll have to keep up with your journey. Lorien has been having real academic trouble stemming from an inability to sit and concentrate on anything, which effected her test taking and her reading skills which effected everything else creating this vicious cycle of not learning/doesn't want to try/can't do it/more frustrated/not learning. We used to get into these HUGE fights because it would take her literally 2 hours to do one math sheet. Thalia was begin ignored because I was spending my entire time on top of Lorien every night trying to do homework. I was approaching the point of resentment because I saw it as strictly a disrespect or a disobedience issue because she wasn't answering the problems and doing it sloppy and in my mind 'if you'd just DO IT you'd have been done an hour ago.' It was effecting our relationship in a negative way.

    At the end of last year (2nd gr) her teacher suggested she see her pediatrician. At the same time we started tutoring with my dad over the summer. Her teacher, my dad, and her doctor all came to the conclusion she had some form of ADD. My dad has given her a boost as we continue with him helping her with her homework (as he knows more fully how to deal with the issue)and the addition of meds as we came into the second quarter this year (we tried the first quarter without meds still but she was not doing well) things are going MUCH better. SHe still talks out in class but her attention span is much improved and enabling her to apply herself better to in-class work and tests.

    We just got her report card on Friday for the 2nd quarter, and while her grades are generally hovering in the same area as they've moved away from review and into new material this quarter her writing improved by a full 10% and all but two of her in-class behavior marks improved. Which was a relief. We left the first quarter (right before starting the meds) concerned she would be held back.

    Thankfully her fidgets are small scale and she is not disruptive except for forgetting to raise her hand, but it has been incredibly difficult to watch her struggle academically. I'm glad Elijah does well in that regard. And no, I don't think I could handle home-schooling :) I think we both need our space from each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how challenging it can be especially to not feel resentment toward her. I have had similar feelings. Hang in there! It is very wise of you to have your dad tutor her. Share the verse that I included in this with her, too. Maybe it will encourage her,

      Delete
  2. Dana, I commend you for trying other alternatives then simply medicating him. He's blessed to have you as a mother! I look forward to seeing how he responds to the "diet". I enjoy reading your blog and will pray for you all during this journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son Liam is in a similiar place and as my good friend reminds me; He is a 7 year old boy (my Liam...). Keeping it in perspective helps me. There will be a ton of neurodevelopment over the next 6-8 years. There will be vast maturation as seen more in these types of busy boys than any other child. That is my mantra when I take the looks, criticisms and comments from family, friends and teachers... Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am totally in agreement, Paula! For example, last night Elijah went to his first y-fit class where they played freeze tag, duck, duck goose, etc. I signed him up I thought it would be a great way for him to run off his extra energy this winter. When I picked him up the instructor said, "Elijah was really excited and yelling and didn't stop after I told him not to. That is not allowed in the class!" I wanted to say, "take a chill pill' but instead explained to my son that the room is small and he needs to try not to yell loudly. Sometimes people need to let kids be kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tomorrow will be day three for us and I'm desperate for this to work. My ds is so draining and I wish I could just jump ahead six weeks to see if it actually works. I really enjoy reading your blog ...thanks for the updates.

    ReplyDelete